Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Easiest way to find out if you have a 32-bit or a 64-bit OS

I need to install an app but, like in many cases, I need to find out if my Zorin OS is a 32-bit or a 64-bit. I used to know but I have forgotten. So what do you do if you are in my situation? Here is how I did.

Firstly, I did a google search and find out on a quite similar question on Ask Ubuntu forum. By the time I am writing this blog post, there are already 12 answers. But to be frank, none of them appeals me. I didn’t wont complicated and sophisticated operations and I certainly don't wont to install an app just to find out if I can install a certain app. It already sounds crazy.

No, I just want something quick, simple and clean. And a terminal command line is the answer. I have found it thanks to a fellow chatter from the Ubuntu & Linux chat.

So, here it is:

Open Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and write the following line exactelly as it is:
getconf LONG_BIT
And then press Enter

The needed result appears instantly.

Here is it how it looks in my Terminal window.

The easiest way to find out if you have an 32-bit or a 64-bit OS Architecture

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello!
You are welcome to share your thoughts.
Please, keep in mind that a polite tone is best for real communication.

Christmas Bell